Monday, January 25

blackberry sleeve

this was a little project i cooked up out of necessity. about a week or so before christmas, i lost the small faux leather sleeve that came with my blackberry. looked for a replacement online, but unwilling to pay $25 or more for one. enter my new sewing machine, an awesome christmas present from my parents! hadn't used one myself in years, so i needed a relatively quick and easy project to get started with the new machine. thus, i decided to try to make a small sleeve for my blackberry.

i of course turned to google for inspiration and instruction, and read through several tutorials before picking this one from sew mama sew to use as a base. i had fabric scraps and batting lying around from other projects, and thread in my small stash of sewing supplies, so this project cost me nothing. even better!

i simplified sew mama sew's pattern a little more to make it easier on myself by omitting the flap that folds over the top and also the button & elastic closure. instead, i made mine like a little pocket, open at the top. (that's how the original one was so i figured it would work ok.) i also modified the measurements to fit my phone exactly so it would be snug in the pocket.

other than the fact that i cannot sew a straight line to save my life, i think this turned out pretty well! especially considering it's the first thing i've sewn all by myself since high school (or maybe earlier). i was also able to finish it in an afternoon, including time to set up the sewing machine and read the instruction manual, plus a little practice stitching.

IMG_3541

IMG_3540

No comments:

Post a Comment