Wednesday, January 7

week one

Maybe it's not quite fitting to start this new project with the aftermath and cleanup from another big event, or maybe it's entirely appropriate to begin with a transition. Glass half-full or half-empty type of thing? In either case, the big news around here this week is putting away the Christmas decorations. I am torn, because while I love Christmas and all my holiday items, they take up visual space, cluttering and cramping our already-too-small apartment. So it's time to put them back in their boxes til the end of the year. In putting them away, though, I am put in mind of reflecting on 2008 and realizing a few things I'd like to do better in 2009.

IMG_2026
stack of holiday cards we received

Keep in close touch with family and friends. Holiday cards are great but not enough.

IMG_2040
munched-up drumsticks

We use these to hold finger puppets in our stockings, thusly:

IMG_1874
stockings

Go see more music. It's one of the reasons we live in NYC after all.

IMG_1814
Christmas dining table

IMG_2030
winter dining table

Eat dinner at the dinner table. Lately we've been eating on the couch in front of the tv. Maybe if we eat at the table like grown-ups, I'll actually use all my pretty dishes, etc. Plus it'll encourage me to keep fresh flowers around too (once the weather gets a little warmer). And if we get really crazy, we could even invite other people to come over to have dinner with us!

Finally, thinking about our small apartment, it seems appropriate to mention here that I hope, come the end of this year when I start getting the Christmas stuff back out again, it will be in our very own house!

5 comments:

  1. I love where this blog is going Mon. Thanks for sharing! I love the Xmas card shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig the card shot, too. Really creative. :)
    And the photo-a-week idea is *awesome*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who's that handsome devil in the photo on top of your stack of Christmas cards??? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol mer! i wondered if you would notice that adorable baby... :)

    ReplyDelete