Thursday, September 15

My job*: a cost-benefit analysis

Typically, my thoughts about my job zig-zag through a gradient from "thank goodness I have one" to "anything would be better than this". Job-seeking is so frustrating, so discouraging, so deflating, so dehumanizing. Then again, so is my current job. What to do?


Stay (benefits):
  • It's the devil I know.
  • I can wear jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops to work.
  • Sometimes I get to work from home.

Go (costs):
  • Little opportunity for professional advancement.
  • Rampant mismanagement of tasks and situations large and small.
  • I am woefully underappreciated. (Sliiiiight exaggeration, but this is my blog!)

(I'll leave aside, for the purposes of this evaluation, the pros and cons of having a job in general.)

Other points to consider:
  • Is some other job really going to be any better?
  • If I leave, I lose the company-matched contributions to my retirement account. (Hey, I'm getting older, I have to think about these things!)

Um, yeah. So there it is. Can you think of other costs, benefits, or points to consider that I should include in this analysis? Help me out!

*Disclaimer: This job is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual jobs, present or past, is entirely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment