Thursday, August 16

Origami ball

I started this project about two Christmases ago, and finally finished it tonight. It's not difficult, I just set it aside and took my sweet time picking it up again. My mom taught me how to fold origami cones one Christmas. Over the next few months, I folded 40 of them in order to make them into a ball like a Christmas ornament.

Here's the one my mom made, the model for this project. (That's my bear Frank in the background holding it up.)

IMG_4039

And here's my starting material: 40 paper cones.

IMG_4043

You arrange the cones into four rings of 10 cones each, then tie them together so each ring lays flat.

IMG_4047

Then you stack up the rings, and carefully weave them together one at a time using thread, following a specific pattern. Finally you pull the thread tight, drawing the cone rings together into a ball shape. Here is my final result:

IMG_4053

I used a loop of white ribbon for a hanger, and Mom used some red cord. Plus, hers has a cool tassel at the bottom! Mine looks more like an egg than a ball, because I should have pulled the thread a little tighter. But overall, not bad! Now if I can just remember how to fold the paper cones...

1 comment:

  1. wow. you're way ahead of me. i'm still folding the paper cones.

    ReplyDelete